Our history

It started already about 150 years ago

In 1871, Albert Jones applied for a patent for his invention - corrugated board - in the USA, thus laying the foundation for today's corrugated board industry. At that time, Hamburg-Altona was still quiet about what was probably the most sustainable packaging material of the future. 

Around the turn of the century, two persons from Hamburg discovered the material for their business idea, which was excellently suited for packaging and shipping goods. They founded one of the first German corrugated board companies, the Altonaer Wellpappenfabrik GmbH.

1902

First registration of the Altonaer Wellpappenfabrik GmbH by the founders Wilhelm Landmann and M. Staub. Corrugated cardboard production begins in the same year.

1905

Due to the rapid development, the entrepreneurs quickly looked around for larger premises. Barely three years after its foundation, the Altonaer Wellpappenfabrik moved into a new building in the street, named Schützenstraße, which is also located in Hamburg-Altona.

1926

New construction of production and storage areas according to the latest standards for a continuous increase in productivity. With the expansion of several thousand square meters of production and storage possibilities, the company was purposefully built up under the management of Landmann and Staub.

1930

More and more industrial companies are discovering the advantages of corrugated board. The delivery area of ​​the Altonaer Wellpappenfabrik now extends all over Germany, the number of employees grows to over 200.

1945-1948

After the complete destruction of the factory during the World War II and production in temporary premises, a completely modern plant was rebuilt from 1945 under the direction of Fritz Landmann.

1951

For more flexibility and high performance, an investment in a straw paper factory taken place obtaining own raw materials.

1961

The production is expanded to three shifts, sales exceed the 50 million DM. In 1961 another location in Tornesch (near Hamburg) was inevitably expanded, as the required capacities and expansion options were available here.

1966

The fully computer-controlled production in Tornesch is the most modern corrugating plant in Germany. A special program makes the entire process more efficient and faster. In addition, the capacities have been steadily expanded: more than 6,000 sqm of space, a new corrugated board production line and 700 employees in both plants increased the capacities of the Altona corrugated board factory to almost double.

1967-1976

Through numerous takeovers such as the Wepoba Wellpappenfabrik (Wellpappen-, Post- und Bahnkistenfabrik) and Südwestkarton as well as the establishment of specialized plants in several strategic locations in Germany, the company grows into a Group. In order to meet the requirements of the growing European market, this not only increases raw material and material production, but also the individual end product and service portfolio.

1980

Panther develops the world's first preprint machine with a working width of 2.50 m. In Tornesch, it enables for the first time direct printing on the liner before it is processed into corrugated board. The revolutionary printing process made it possible the brilliant reproduction of all motifs and almost all colors.

2002

One hundred years after the Altonaer Wellpappenfabrik was founded, the company Otto Kriegsch Display (renaming in 2004 to Panther Display) was incorporated into the Panther Group. This gives the Group the status of the only one manufacturer of all relevant services from a single source in Germany.

2004

A technologically advanced new building is being built in Wustermark, Brandenburg, for the Wepoba Wellpappenfabrik, which has been part of the Panther Group since 1967. Europe's most modern production thus has further expansion potential.

2008

Panther Display also moves to Wustermark and expanded the production area by 300 %. The modern factory for creative displays and extensive sales promotion is being built in the immediate vicinity.

2009-2010

Panther Print GmbH is founded. After a planning phase of only six months, the groundbreaking ceremony for the new building will take place on July 14, 2010. With Panther Print, the Group succeeds in expanding its leading position in the field of high-quality pre-printed packaging solutions.

2011

The Panther Print GmbH puts the world's fastest, widest and the mostly automated directly driven flexo preprint machine into operation. From now on, orders with up to 8 colors + varnish can be realized with a width of 2.8 m and at a printing speed of up to 600 m/min.

2018

Panther Group takes a majority stake in WS Coswiger Wellpappe- und Papierverarbeitung GmbH in Coswig/Anhalt. In the course of the generation change, the previous shareholders decided to systematically expand the company; Panther Packaging GmbH & Co. KG will now help as a larger partner. The previous managing partners will remain responsible for the further development of the company and will continue to be the point of contact for all customers, employees and partners in the future.

2021

This has never happened before in flexo preprint: Panther Print GmbH produced more than a million square meters of liner board (preprinted corrugated board) in 24 hours with a central cylinder flexo printing machine BOBST 96S - and thus setting a new world record. Mastering various printing processes requires a high level of knowledge, and it is precisely this expertise that the Panther Print Team has proven with its top performance.

Till today

Investments are continuously being made in all plants of the Panther Group in order to meet the steadily increasing demands of customers and to further advance the expansion.